directory-users mailing list archives

From Matt Doran <matt.do...@papercut.com>
Subject Re: Custom LDAP partition and root/baseless searches
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 11:31:13 GMT
On 19/05/11 7:22 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 5/19/11 10:17 AM, Matt Doran wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm using a *very* basic custom LDAP partition in Apache DS (it's an older
>>> version 1.5.5, because at the time of writing this was the best version to
>>> get a custom LDAP partition working).
>>>
>>> We are using this embedded in our product to mimic a "real" LDAP server
>>> for a very specific purpose (mainly around authentication and a very basic
>>> user attribute lookup).
>>>
>>> One of the services that is interacting with us now is performing a root
>>> search (I'm not sure if that's the right term).   But basically they are now
>>> doing a search without providing an search base DN (i.e. the search base is
>>> empty "").  See the attached image for a part of the wireshark dump for this
>>> search.
>>>
>>> The problem we're having is that when we receive this search, the
>>> "search()" method of our custom LDAP partition is not being called.  I
>>> haven't been able to find the answer in your docs (probably because I don't
>>> know the terminology to search for :)
>>>
>>> So I'm wondering how we can hook into these baseless searches?   Is there
>>> a way to set-up the partition so we will be passed these search requests?
>>>
>>> Is there a way to "plug-in" to handle these searches and modify them or
>>> direct them in some way to our custom partition.
>> 'Root' searches are supposed to work well. The way it works is that it looks
>> into all the naming contexts present in the RootDSE entry. I guess that you
>> have such a naming context present, otherwise you would not be able to do
>> any search in your specific partition.
>>
>> It may be a bug in 1.5.5. I suggest you quickly do a test with the latest
>> version (1.5.7) to see if the problem still exists (we fixed a large number
>> of bugs between 1.5.5. and 1.5.7). If the proble still exists, then it's
>> most certainly a bug and deserves a JIRA.
>>
> this was fixed in 1.5.7, and if you migrate to 1.5.7 then it will work.

Many thanks for your quick responses!!

When I originally developed this, 1.5.6 was the most recent version.  I
tried creating an LDAPPartition on this version but had a number of
problems (all the samples showed how to implement this for 1.5.5 and
there were some large API changes under the covers).  So I stuck with 1.5.5.

The following article also seems to still talk about 1.5.5.  -
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/61-how-to-write-a-simple-custom-partition-for-apacheds.html

Are their samples of how to implement a custom partition in 1.5.7?
I'd love to be able to do a quick verification that the root search is
fixed before doing a full port.

Thanks again,
Matt