directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS and Samba
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:08:37 GMT
On 4/14/11 10:38 PM, Jeffrey Reynolds wrote:
> Ok,
>

> Using Apache Directory Studio, it was very easy to create to schema attributes.  I created
a sambaPwdHistoryLength attribute with a new OID (just added one to the last number of the
other samba attributes), and then I opened the objectClasses container to add my new attribute
to the sambaDomain object.  After going through some Googling, I understand now that ApacheDS
doesn't use actual schema files, but all schema information is held in metadata inside the
partition directory (which for me is /var/lib/apacheds/default/partitions.  However, even
though I have added the attribute definition to the schema, and added the attribute as a m-may
value under the sambaDomain object class, I still can't add a sambaPwdHistoryLength value
under my sambaDomain object.  I've tried deleting the object and remaking it and restarting
the ApacheDS service.  Is there anywhere else that I have to specify this attribute, or any
other configurations to undergo?
It's quite simple. Let me explain :

1) You first have to add your AT :
- go to ou=schema, (not cn, ou),
- go to cn=samba
- go to ou=attributes
- right click on the entry, select new -> new entry -> Use existing
entry as template
- browse to pick one entry as a template
- change the m-oid, then all the other attributes to get what is the
definition of the sambaPwdHistoryLength  AT :

attributeTypes: ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.7165.2.1.59
  NAME 'sambaPwdHistoryLength'
  DESC 'Length of Password History Entries (default: 0 =>  off)'
  EQUALITY integerMatch
  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.27
  SINGLE-VALUE )

- save it.

You'll see the AT in the list.
2) Modify the ObjectClass to add the newly added AT
3) once done, there is one extra necessary step : you have to enable the
NIS schema
- select the cn=nis,ou=schema entry
- modify the DISABLE=TRUE attribute value to FALSE
4) Now, you can do the same thing for the Samba schem (ie, modify the
DISABLE=TRUE Attribute)
5) Just disconnect and reconnect (this is necessary in Studio to be able
to see the modification in cn=schema)
6) Last, not least, stop and restart your server.

You are all set !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,