directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Community] Proposals for those interested in participating
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 22:10:57 GMT
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/1/11 5:50 PM, Stefano Gargiulo wrote:
>>
>> Very interesting! Proposal #1 Will rock (world need this kind of webapps)
>> and also the new api is a great thing for who wants to write a custom user
>> management interface (i need this, for now i wrote one in php but i will
>> be
>> very happy to switch to your ldap api when mature)
>
> I would add something regarding the Web UI : we would be very interested in
> using Eclipse RAP [1] to get the current Apache Studio application available
> as a Web UI, with the same look and feel. We have already conducted some
> experiments the last two years, and we know we aren't too far from being
> able to provide a single applications which can be used either as a
> standalone application, or as a plugin inside eclipse, or thanks to RAP, as
> a web UI.
>
> What would be absolutely great would be to see if this can be done with the
> current version (RAP 1.4-M6 is announced for march 18), and what are the
> impacts on the current application.

I think RAPification of Studio is a bit special.

First, as Alex already mentioned, it will be a heavy web application.

Second, Studio uses shared and Server components, they are heavily
modified, I don't foresee stability here within the next months. It
would be necessary to deal with changed packages and dependencies all
the time. That doesn't make it easy to work on a RAP version.

Last not least, IMHO it is required to have deep knowledge of Eclipse
RCP and Plugin development. Also experience with RAP would be good. I
don't think that it is possible to get it working with 'only' Java
skills within a fair time, this is really a big task.

Kind Regards,
Stefan