directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefano Gargiulo <rastr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Community] Proposals for those interested in participating
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 11:05:59 GMT
Yes i think also that RAP application will be:

1) not so useful: apache directory studio is a MUST to manage LDAP servers,
but a web version of it is not a great added value IMHO  (administrators, a
limited number of person, can easly install it on their OS to do that)

2) too heavy: RAP is one of the many java2webapp frameworks that IMHO will
not rock. This kind of frameworks (see Jaxcent, Echo2 etc.):  the idea
behind is to use the server to compute the rendering and the behaivor of
most of the UI components and this really not scales (you  will need a
superserver to run it) in this is much better GWT or Dojo+DWR (you need to
rewrite the entiere UI but you will achieve a real RPC architecture over the
web)

But having a project like this directly using the LDAP API
> will I think be lighter and might even be embedded as an optional
> application in the Jetty server running inside ApacheDS. The idea is not
> just administration but also to use the application for self service.

Yes i mean this: i wrote a php application to manage things regarding
accounts like:

-User registration to services (a web interface to register a new account
with the authz attributes needed for a service)
-User password change, rescue, and reminders to change password
periodically
-User management (simplified,  not intended to be used by LDAP system
administrators, but by projects and application managers)           - manage
user profiles and authz attributes in a simple way
- approve/reject registration and access request
- invite users by email
ecc.

For now all this is a bit harcoded, but i'm looking for a good java api to
achieve more flexibility (e.g. possibility to dynamically define  user
profile templates, using any schema and attribute, and map the attribute
with some rules (e.g. regexp for UI editing, authZ meaning for applications
ect.)

Best regards,
Stefano