directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Community] Proposals for those interested in participating
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 00:08:02 GMT
On 3/1/11 11:10 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On 3/1/11 5:50 PM, Stefano Gargiulo wrote:
>>> Very interesting! Proposal #1 Will rock (world need this kind of webapps)
>>> and also the new api is a great thing for who wants to write a custom user
>>> management interface (i need this, for now i wrote one in php but i will
>>> be
>>> very happy to switch to your ldap api when mature)
>> I would add something regarding the Web UI : we would be very interested in
>> using Eclipse RAP [1] to get the current Apache Studio application available
>> as a Web UI, with the same look and feel. We have already conducted some
>> experiments the last two years, and we know we aren't too far from being
>> able to provide a single applications which can be used either as a
>> standalone application, or as a plugin inside eclipse, or thanks to RAP, as
>> a web UI.
>>
>> What would be absolutely great would be to see if this can be done with the
>> current version (RAP 1.4-M6 is announced for march 18), and what are the
>> impacts on the current application.
> I think RAPification of Studio is a bit special.
>
> First, as Alex already mentioned, it will be a heavy web application.
>
> Second, Studio uses shared and Server components, they are heavily
> modified, I don't foresee stability here within the next months. It
> would be necessary to deal with changed packages and dependencies all
> the time. That doesn't make it easy to work on a RAP version.
>
> Last not least, IMHO it is required to have deep knowledge of Eclipse
> RCP and Plugin development. Also experience with RAP would be good. I
> don't think that it is possible to get it working with 'only' Java
> skills within a fair time, this is really a big task.

Yeah, you are most certainly right. Thinking about it again, I think we
should proceed in another way regarding any RCP/RAP application :
starting with RAP first, and see if it does not limit too much the RCP
application.

In any case, none of those approach fits with Studio, and it's better to
start from scratch with a simpler Web UI.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,