directory-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Backing up ApacheDS
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 04:41:23 GMT
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 3:52 AM, John Cheng <johnlicheng@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Apologize for the newbie question. But, I have small instance of ApcheDS
>> > running and I would like to make sure my data gets backed up. Is this as
>> > simple as just copying the partitions folder or???
>> The best would be to run a cron task (on linux) to get all the entries
>> extracted as LDIF, say, every hour. This is a guaranteed way to get
>> your data straight.
>>

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> Is the apacheds-tools.jar capable of doing backup/restores? A search on
> the archives seem to indicate that it is broken and one should use
> OpenLdap tools to perform backup/restore via the command line
>
> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/DCLZ8EQq6MXcLPfXYRB3
>
> Trying the command
>
> java -jar apacheds-tools.jar dump -i /path/to/apacheds -p system
>
> Yielded java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.directory.daemon.InstallationLayout

the best is to export all the data into a LDIF file and use as backup.
yes the server-tools is broken and is not supported at the moment

> On a subject that relates to backups, is replication not working in
> ApacheDS 1.5.7?
no, it is not working in 1.5.7 but the trunk has support for
master/slave replication (rfc4533 a.k.a syncrepl)
may be you can consider upgrading your server to the latest in a dev
environment and see

--
Kiran Ayyagari