directory-users mailing list archives

From John Cheng <johnlich...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backing up ApacheDS
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:59:12 GMT
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org> wrote:

> >> The best would be to run a cron task (on linux) to get all the entries
> >> extracted as LDIF, say, every hour. This is a guaranteed way to get
> >> your data straight.
> >>

> > Hi Emmanuel,
> >
> > Is the apacheds-tools.jar capable of doing backup/restores? A search on
> > the archives seem to indicate that it is broken and one should use
> > OpenLdap tools to perform backup/restore via the command line
> >
> > http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/DCLZ8EQq6MXcLPfXYRB3
> >
> > Trying the command
> >
> > java -jar apacheds-tools.jar dump -i /path/to/apacheds -p system
> >
> > Yielded java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.directory.daemon.InstallationLayout
> >
> the best is to export all the data into a LDIF file and use as backup.
> yes the server-tools is broken and is not supported at the moment
>
> > On a subject that relates to backups, is replication not working in
> > ApacheDS 1.5.7?
> no, it is not working in 1.5.7 but the trunk has support for
> master/slave replication (rfc4533 a.k.a syncrepl)
> may be you can consider upgrading your server to the latest in a dev
> environment and see
>
> --
> Kiran Ayyagari

I am looking into using ApacheDS as a production LDAP server and I am
trying to find an export tool that is both Java-based and can be
scripted. Is there a pure Java export tool?

ApacheDS Studio is Java but is a GUI.

OpenDS is Java but only works with OpenDS from what I can gather.

OpenLDAP's "ldapsearch" is a command line tool, but is not based on
Java.

So my only option is OpenLDAP tools, I would like to avoid that
dependency if possible.

--
---
John L Cheng