directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backing up ApacheDS
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:21:54 GMT
On 12/16/10 4:59 PM, John Cheng wrote:

>>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>>
>>> Is the apacheds-tools.jar capable of doing backup/restores? A search on
>>> the archives seem to indicate that it is broken and one should use
>>> OpenLdap tools to perform backup/restore via the command line
>>>
>>> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/DCLZ8EQq6MXcLPfXYRB3
>>>
>>> Trying the command
>>>
>>> java -jar apacheds-tools.jar dump -i /path/to/apacheds -p system
>>>
>>> Yielded java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>>> org.apache.directory.daemon.InstallationLayout
>>>
>> the best is to export all the data into a LDIF file and use as backup.
>> yes the server-tools is broken and is not supported at the moment
>>
>>> On a subject that relates to backups, is replication not working in
>>> ApacheDS 1.5.7?
>> no, it is not working in 1.5.7 but the trunk has support for
>> master/slave replication (rfc4533 a.k.a syncrepl)
>> may be you can consider upgrading your server to the latest in a dev
>> environment and see
>>
>> --
>> Kiran Ayyagari
> I am looking into using ApacheDS as a production LDAP server and I am
> trying to find an export tool that is both Java-based and can be
> scripted. Is there a pure Java export tool?
>
> ApacheDS Studio is Java but is a GUI.
>
> OpenDS is Java but only works with OpenDS from what I can gather.
>
> OpenLDAP's "ldapsearch" is a command line tool, but is not based on
> Java.
>
> So my only option is OpenLDAP tools, I would like to avoid that
> dependency if possible.
Writing a java class that export the full tree is a matter of 12 lines
of Java code :

     private void dumpBase() throws Exception
     {
         LdapConnection connection = new LdapNetworkConnection(
"localhost", "10389" );
         conn.bind( "uid=admin,ou=system", "secret" );

         SearchCursor cursor = connection.search( DN.EMPTY_DN ,
"(ObjectClass=*)", SearchScope.SUBTREE, "*", "+" );

         while ( cursor.next() )
         {
             System.out.println( LdifUtils.convertEntryToLdif(
((SearchResultEntry)cursor.get()).getEntry() ) );
         }
     }

--
Regards,