directory-users mailing list archives

From Chad La Joie <laj...@itumi.biz>
Subject Proper creation of partitions
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:20:47 GMT
I'm not quite sure I understand when I should create a partition.

My end goal is to have two branches (ou=people,dc=example,dc=org and
ou=groups,dc=example,dc=org).

My first thought was to create a single dc=example,dc=org partition.
Following the directions for adding a new partition[1], the next step
would be to add an appropriate context entry to the Root DSE.  The
problem is that I'm not sure which object class to use for the entry.
dcObject seems like the natural choice since it contains the dc
attribute, but that object class is an auxiliary class.  So what
structural class would I use?

I took the above issue then as a warning that perhaps I wasn't
partitioning things in the way intended by the software.  Should I
instead be creating two partitions, one for each branch?  Or, asking it
another way, does the software assume one partition == one branch?  That
would remove the issue with context entry since I could use
organizationalUnit as the object class.

Thanks.

[1]
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/143-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html