directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Auto reloading schema (WAS: Re: [ApacheDS] Cannot enable custom schema such as mozilla schema)
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:10:34 GMT
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Just a random thought I had while reading this thread in the background.
> It
> > might be nice to have Studio check the timestamp on the ou=schema entry
> > see if it was modified since the last load.
>
> Studio checks the modifyTimestamp of the subschemaSubentry whenever
> the connection is opened, in case of ApacheDS that is cn=schema. I
> just tested with ApacheDS 1.5.7 and Studio 1.5.3, but unfortunately
> the modifyTimestamp isn't updated.

That's clearly a bug, then. That ean the change is not propagated to the top
level entry when any schema element is modified. This has to be checked, and
a test added (or as Stefan mentionned, if the test existed before, to be
checked too).

At this point, for this issue, a JIRA can help.

> Also the schemamodifytimestamp of
> cn=schemaModifications,ou=schema isn't updated. We had that issue
> before and I'm sure I wrote an integration test for ApacheDS in the
> past, to be checked...
>
> > If a schema entity changes the container above it has it's
> modifiedTimestamp
> > altered to reflect the time of the change and this bubbles up. This is
> how I
> > had implemented it in the past. Don't know if this still holds but it
> would
> > be easy to check. Also somewhere we store the timestamp in a special
> entry
> > when the last schema change occurred.
> >
> > If you wanted to get fancy we can load just the changes that occurred or
> > even PSearch the schema area and react to the change.
>
> Yes, using PSearch is also an option. However I'd prefer to monitor
> the subschemaSubentry, because that would be a generic way and should
> work with all directory servers.

+1. Bur we can have both options. It would be very cool if we can have the
browser being updated everytime the schema is modified, of course as an
option (so that we still have the generic solution working for servers that
does not support PSerarch)

> > None of this is critical do or die stuff but I wanted to brain dump the
> idea
> > out there.
>
> Thanks Alex for your thoughts.

Valuable brain dump, indeed !

I'm afraid that we are a bit too knees deep into refactoring to take care of
those small issues that affect our users... Not a critic, just a fact :/

--
Regards,
Cordialement,