directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [Studio] Auto reloading schema (WAS: Re: [ApacheDS] Cannot enable custom schema such as mozilla schema)
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 03:01:38 GMT
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM,  <mctozzy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Aha! That worked when I copied the connection object in Studio. But the
> > original one still doesn't work. Is this some sort of client-side caching
> > problem in Eclipse?
> yes, that is why I said 'can you try reloading the schema' , well I
> wasn't explicit there
> assuming that you already know studio well.
> here it is how to do
> goto the connection's properties then exapnd the 'connection' node
> present in the left hand
> side pane then select 'schema' and finally click on 'Reload Schema' button
>
> alternatively you can also reload schema by clicking the 'refresh
> icon' present next to the
> objectClass selector in the create new entry wizard

Just a random thought I had while reading this thread in the background. It
might be nice to have Studio check the timestamp on the ou=schema entry to
see if it was modified since the last load.

If a schema entity changes the container above it has it's modifiedTimestamp
altered to reflect the time of the change and this bubbles up. This is how I
had implemented it in the past. Don't know if this still holds but it would
be easy to check. Also somewhere we store the timestamp in a special entry
when the last schema change occurred.

If you wanted to get fancy we can load just the changes that occurred or
even PSearch the schema area and react to the change.

None of this is critical do or die stuff but I wanted to brain dump the idea
out there.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org