directory-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Auto reloading schema (WAS: Re: [ApacheDS] Cannot enable custom schema such as mozilla schema)
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:20:56 GMT
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM,  <mctozzy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >  Aha! That worked when I copied the connection object in Studio. But the
>> > original one still doesn't work. Is this some sort of client-side caching
>> > problem in Eclipse?
>> yes, that is why I said 'can you try reloading the schema' , well I
>> wasn't explicit there
>> assuming that you already know studio well.
>> here it is how to do
>> goto the connection's properties then exapnd the 'connection' node
>> present in the left hand
>> side pane then select 'schema' and finally click on 'Reload Schema' button
>>
>> alternatively you can also reload schema by clicking the 'refresh
>> icon' present next to the
>> objectClass selector in the create new entry wizard
>>

> Just a random thought I had while reading this thread in the background. It
> might be nice to have Studio check the timestamp on the ou=schema entry to
> see if it was modified since the last load.
>
> If a schema entity changes the container above it has it's modifiedTimestamp
> altered to reflect the time of the change and this bubbles up. This is how I
> had implemented it in the past. Don't know if this still holds but it would
> be easy to check. Also somewhere we store the timestamp in a special entry
> when the last schema change occurred.
ok, I saw this entry and wondered why this exists, now I understand.
There is an issue with this entry being present under the ou=schema cause it
gets in our way while reading by a schema loader (e.x NetworkSchemaLoader)
which assumes that all the elements under ou=schema at ONE level scope are
schema containers, so I would second the idea of having a last modified time
in ou=schema entry.

Having said this note that studio is a generic tool, the above said
works only when you
connected to ApacheDS

> If you wanted to get fancy we can load just the changes that occurred or
> even PSearch the schema area and react to the change.
this could be set as an option in studio but is again, I think,
specific to ApacheDS

--
Kiran Ayyagari