directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Auto reloading schema (WAS: Re: [ApacheDS] Cannot enable custom schema such as mozilla schema)
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:31:26 GMT
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> Just a random thought I had while reading this thread in the background. It
> might be nice to have Studio check the timestamp on the ou=schema entry to
> see if it was modified since the last load.

Studio checks the modifyTimestamp of the subschemaSubentry whenever
the connection is opened, in case of ApacheDS that is cn=schema. I
just tested with ApacheDS 1.5.7 and Studio 1.5.3, but unfortunately
the modifyTimestamp isn't updated. Also the schemamodifytimestamp of
cn=schemaModifications,ou=schema isn't updated. We had that issue
before and I'm sure I wrote an integration test for ApacheDS in the
past, to be checked...

> If a schema entity changes the container above it has it's modifiedTimestamp
> altered to reflect the time of the change and this bubbles up. This is how I
> had implemented it in the past. Don't know if this still holds but it would
> be easy to check. Also somewhere we store the timestamp in a special entry
> when the last schema change occurred.
>
> If you wanted to get fancy we can load just the changes that occurred or
> even PSearch the schema area and react to the change.

Yes, using PSearch is also an option. However I'd prefer to monitor
the subschemaSubentry, because that would be a generic way and should
work with all directory servers.

> None of this is critical do or die stuff but I wanted to brain dump the idea
> out there.

Thanks Alex for your thoughts.

Kind Regards,
Stefan