directory-users mailing list archives

From Owen Jacobson <owen.jacob...@grimoire.ca>
Subject Re: apacheds-maven-plugin and ApacheDS 1.5.7
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:19:57 GMT
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org> wrote:
> hi Owen,
>
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Owen Jacobson
> <owen.jacobson@grimoire.ca> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> As you may have seen in another thread this morning, someone's asked
>> that I upgrade apacheds-maven-plugin to ApacheDS 1.5.7. This hasn't
>> gone as smoothly as I had hoped.
>>
>> ApacheDS 1.5.7's mechanism for populating the schema directory
>> involves trawling through every entry in the java.class.path system
>> property looking for JARs that contain schema files. The relevant code
>> is in org.apache.directory.shared:shared-ldap-schema:0.9.19 . Maven
>> doesn't use -classpath (or set java.class.path) when running plugins,
>> so this mechanism fails - the only JAR it finds is Maven's classworlds
>> bootstrap JAR, which obviously has nothing interesting in it. In fact,
>> this mechanism fails for any program that doesn't use the root
>> classloader to load ApacheDS.
>>
>> I think the only universally workable solution is to change the
>> packaging for the schema LDIF files so that instead of being scanned,
>> each JAR that contains schema files also contains an index file at a
>> known location (such as META-INF/apacheds/schema) listing all of the
>> schema files in that JAR. Unfortunately, that's a pretty
>> labour-intensive solution (it means anyone who adds a schema to
>> shared-ldap-schema or related artifacts has to remember to update the
>> index as well, or that someone has to tune the build to generate the
>> index file. I'm happy to set this up, if it turns out to be the best
>> solution. (As you can tell, I'm already fairly adept at extending
>> Maven. :)
>
> hmm, though it helps in reduced scan time this again suffers from the
> same class loading issue

Not at all. shared-ldap-schema-*.jar is available in the classloader
ApacheDS is being launched with. By asking that classloader for a
resource with a known name (using
ClassLoader.getResources(schemaIndexPath)), we skip the scan entirely
and go straight to reading the files (also using
ClassLoader.getResource... methods). I can patch this up, if you want
a demonstration. :)

>> I see in trunk that ResourceMap now accepts a system property that can
>> be set to the locations of JARs to load to skip classpath scanning.
>> This doesn't completely help, either, since I'm hesitant to do things
>> with global side effects (like set System properties) in the middle of
>> a Maven plugin. I can come up with a list of relevant JARs by trawling
>> the artfact information in my plugin, so if there were a way to pass
>> that list directly to ResourceMap I'd prefer to use that. I can write
>> that up as a patch, if you're interested.
>
> yes IMO this is the best way to go, getting the jar name is straight forward.
> The artifact name is fixed (atleast till the 2.0 version) i.e
> 'shared-ldap-schema'
> and we can get the version number from the server version the plugin depends on
> e.x 0.9.19

I don't even need to do that. There are some maven plugin utility APIs
that can generate the list of artifacts of a given type straight from
the project metadata, and I can throw the entire list of dependency
JARs at ResourceMap.

-o