directory-users mailing list archives

From "Wasscher, Ewald" <Ewald.Wassc...@getronics.com>
Subject RE: Error message: ERR_00004 The PDU buffer size is too small !
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:32:04 GMT
Good day Emmanuel,

Thank you for the reply, I just created this entry:

And the "burden" is no problem. Personally I hate it when users complain "it doesn't work"
without giving information, so I understand your question completely.

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,

Ewald Wasscher

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lecharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: donderdag 23 september 2010 12:10
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: Error message: ERR_00004 The PDU buffer size is too small !

  On 9/23/10 11:50 AM, Wasscher, Ewald wrote:
> Good day,
>
> We're currently testing Apache Directory Server (ADS) in a custom environment for a customer
of ours. In this environment ADS is used to store certificates and certificate revocation
lists. At first everything seemed to be working fine, but we encounter an error that seems
to randomly occur every now. When adding an object, viewing an object in Directory Studio
or adding attributes (the certificate) to an existing object this fails with the following
message in apacheds-rolling.log: ERR_00004 The PDU buffer size is too small !. After encountering
this error I twice raised the max PDU buffer size in server.xml to:

> maxPDUSize="40000000"
>
> And restarted the server. Unfortunately the error still occurs every now and then. I'd
appreciate if someone could explain why this occurs and, if possible, how this can be fixed.
I added a log fragment, which is, for the sake of readability, an attachment. The company
name as it occurs in the log file has been modified.
This is a serious issue. This error just indicate that the encoding is
not correctly process a request or a response (ie, we compute the
encoded PDU for a LDAP message, allocate the appropriate ByteBuffer,
then feed it with the real data). If you get this error, that means we
try to store a bigger value than the buffer we allocated...

At this point, I would suggest you first create a JIRA for this, and
provide a bit more informations :
- ADS version you are using
- attach an LDIF for the entry that fails (if it's always the same
entry, of course)

If it's not enough, we can provide a patch to dump the message when you
get this error, so that we can analyze exactly what's going on.

Sorry for the burden !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,