directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Version string in exported LDIF files
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2010 17:20:29 GMT

>>> Yes, that was added with version 1.5.0, see
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-486.
>>>
>>> There is now way to supress the version line during export, please
>>> file a new issue.
>>
>> s/now/no/
>>
>> The 'version: 1' line is mandatory per RFC 2849 :
>>
>> ldif-file = ldif-content / ldif-changes
>>
>> ldif-content = version-spec 1*(1*SEP ldif-attrval-record)
>>
>> version-spec = "version:" FILL version-number
>>

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the information, I did not realize that it was actually
> specified in the RFC.  It makes sense that this was be added to
> Directory Studio to make it's LDIF output standards compliant.
> However, it would still be nice to have the option to suppress this
> line, similar to how the ldapsearch command gives you the -LLL option,
> for example.
>
> The main reason I asked the question originally was because I had some
> Perl scripts which parsed LDIF files exported from Directory Studio,
> and the addition of the version line and the blank line that follows
> it broke those scripts.  I was able to update the scripts and fix the
> problem without any trouble, but I was surprised that this change in
> Directory Studio was not accompanied by an option to use the old
> behavior.

You can safely remove the version: 1 line, as it's not going to change.
LDIF format hasn't changed for years, and is not likely to change.

I personnaly think that this version: tag should have been set in a
comment , like # version: 1, instead of a attributeType like line...
Whatever.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,