directory-users mailing list archives

From Damon Goodyear <damongoody...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS documentation
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:39:47 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@...> writes:

>   On 8/12/10 1:57 PM, Damon Goodyear wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > You said you'd welcome feedback....
>
> Always ! (well, if it's a negative feedback, of course, we send the user
> address to some serial killers we know... ;)
> >

> > It would be really handy, for people like me with a slow Internet
connection, or who occasionally break it
> , to have the ApacheDS documentation available as a PDF to download.  I
realise the product and the docs
> change all the time but there are presumably break points at which the
product and docs can be regarded as
> reasonably in correspondence with each other...?
> We started to migrated the doc generation to use DocBook, instead of the
> wiki. The idea is to have a XML based codumentation, then to generate
> teh web site *and* a pdf from it. Thus even if the documentation change,
> the pdf will remain up to date !
>
> The effort has started 2 weeks ago.Damon Goodyear
> > PS Really looking forward to find out about ADS and whether it is suited
to my project.
> If you tell us a bit more about your project, we may drive you through ADS.
My last comment (about finding out whether ADS was suitable) was more about
the fact that I am a complete newbie to directory services.  I have a sneaky
feeling that ADS (directory services) will be useful in being able to store,
lookup and use squillions of diddy java objects - stored and looked-up in a
manner similar to a registry.  This feels instinctively faster than storing
them in a RDBMS.

(And having used Eclipse (and liked it) I have recently started using
Netbeans - cos the JavaEE tutorials use Netbeans.  So it would be useful to
integrate to Netbeans.)
PS Sorry but getting upset about top-posting/bottom-posting is decidedly
anally retentive :-)