directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache DS docs
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:11:03 GMT
  On 7/27/10 3:33 PM, Jeremy Page wrote:
> Is there a single html/plain text formatted doc I can d/l on 1.5x?

Sadly, no. We are discussing about moving back to a docbook formated
documentation for 2.0, as we now realize that writing a documentation
based 100% on a wiki is not reasonable.

So what we have is what is on the wiki.

And it's far from being complete :/
> I'd be
> happy to go over it and proof read etc. I'm reasonably technical but
> learning Apache DS so think I'd have valuable input and can add anything
> that's not there for completeness. I'm in the process of evaluating
> different LDAP servers to act as a distributed network of systems which will
> be used to manage a reasonably large company, maybe 65k internal users +
> extranet stuff.
Currently, we are doing our best to release a 2.0 asap (ie, in the next
two months), fixing many of the remaining bugs plus polishong some
important features ( ACI, replication, Disaster Recovery System, etc).
We are doing some progress, not as fast as we would like, but it's
definitively on its way.

At the same time, we also have started to work on the 2.0 documentation,
which is more or less a reworked 1.5 documentation. This is a
preliminary work, and nothing has been done so far.

If you are interested in participating in such an effort, that would be
a pleasure !
> I'm quite familiar with LDAP in general but mostly older versions (v2,
> Novell&  Sun DS) so I shouldn't introduce too many mistakes.
Well, LDAP hasn't evolved a lot since then :) The parts that are quite
dfferent from what you have learnt are those we have introduced into the
server :
- full X.500 ACI
- full X.500 administrative model
- triggers/store proc
- MM replication

plus a few other things. But we are very close to the LDAP RFCs.

tell us if a 6 months effort does not frighten you :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,