directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Does the Kerberos server reads/writes anything from/on disk during AS requests?
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 20:37:38 GMT
Snake wrote:
> I was performing latency tests on ApacheDS kerberos services, and
> comparing it to my own Kerberos prototype, which uses state machine
> replication to be executing in more than one machine. Given this fact,
> I was expecting that the  response of my prototype would be much
> slower than ApacheDS, but as far as requesting TGT's, it takes 25 to
> 30 miliseconds to obtain them in ApacheDS, and in my prototype, it
> takes only 3 to 4 miliseconds.
>
> Given the fact that my prototype needs to perform much more
> comunication steps between replicas than ApacheDS does - due to the
> replication -, I was expecting these results to be reversed. So i was
> wondering if ApacheDS reads or writes anything on disk while
> requesting for TGT's. If not, does anyone has any idea why is there
> such overhead on ApacheDS?

There are reads from disk because the principals are stored in the
directory server and they are retrieved from the directory.

But I don't think that's the cause. I did a quick test and obtained TGTs
for the same user, so the data should be in cache. Nevertheless it takes
around 20ms to obtain TGTs. Needs further investigation, are you interested?

Kind Regards,
Stefan