directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it safe to replace master.db file?
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:12:19 GMT
On 6/8/10 11:43 AM, Sudheer Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using ApacheDs 1.5.4, after running successfully for a long time, now
> getting the following error:
> <snip/>
>
> -----------
> what I found is that, the master.db file (in<partition>/system)got
> corrupted somehow and which is causing this error and not able to start the
> server.  So I just replaced the master.db from a fresh installation and it
> worked.  So my question is, is it okay to replace the master.db file as a
> workaround?  will it cause any data loss? What does it contain?  Please
> explain.

The master.db file contains *all* the entries. Replacing it is nt an
issue as soon as you don't care to lose everything. And if you remove
it, you also have to remove all the index, because they are pointing on
nothing.

With 1.5.4, the only solution is to remove the master.db and all the
index, then to inject all the entries back.

We are working on a recovery system for the coming 2.0 version, with a
tool to rebuild the index, assuming the master table is safe, and a
journal to reinject all the modifications if the server has crashed.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,