directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS]: New entry won't show up in DIT, but exists
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 21:18:42 GMT
Strange, I wasn't able to reproduce that issue.

Another idea I have: please check the "Search Logs" view in Studio.
There you can see the search requests that are sent to the server and
the response from the server.

A last idea is to use Wireshark to check the LDAP traffic on the wire.
(Hopefully we will have some built-in diagnostic tooling in the near
future, Keheliya Gallaba is developing one during GSoC)

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Jeff Blaine wrote:
> [...]
>
> The server is OpenDS 2.2.0
>
>> Can you please play with the search scope? For the CLI client this is
>> the -s parameter with options base, one, and sub.
>
> base and one return the single line:
> uid=username,ou=People,ou=nis,dc=rcf,dc=our,dc=org
>
> sub returns the full entry
>
>> Background: when you browse the DIT using Apache Directory Studio a
>> search with scope "one" is sent to the server. On the other side the
>> default scope of ldapsearch and the search dialog in Studio is "sub".
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Stefan
>>

>> Jeff Blaine wrote:
>>> I'm using ldapadd to add something.  It works fine.  I can
>>> then query the server with ldapsearch fine to retrieve the
>>> information.
>>>
>>> However, the information will not appear (except via a search)
>>> when using Apache Directory Studio 1.5.3 (or 1.5.2 for that
>>> matter).  That is, if I traverse the tree as follows, it does
>>> not show up alphabetically like the other entries:
>>>
>>>      dc=rcf,dc=our,dc=org
>>>              ou=nis
>>>                  ou=People
>>>
>>> I have reloaded various relevant portions of the DIT to no
>>> avail.  I have closed my connection and opened it again to
>>> no avail.  I have restarted ApacheDS to no avail.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  Please see below for the explicit details:
>>>
>>> ==== Adding the info ===============================================
>>> /usr/bin/ldapadd -a -v -h ldap -D "cn=Directory Manager" -f
>>> RCF-USER-TEMPLATE.ldif
>>> Bind Password:
>>> add objectClass:
>>>          top
>>>          shadowAccount
>>>          posixAccount
>>>          account
>>> add cn:
>>>          Firstname Lastname
>>> add gidNumber:
>>>          999999999
>>> add homeDirectory:
>>>          /afs/rcf/user/username
>>> add uid:
>>>          username
>>> add uidNumber:
>>>          999999999
>>> add description:
>>>          This is a template for an RCF UNIX user account.  Copy this
>>> to a
>>> new entry and modify it thoroughly to reflect the desired new user.
>>> add gecos:
>>>          Firstname
>>> Lastname,room,extension,deptcode,mailstop,acct-creator-username
>>> add loginShell:
>>>          /usr/rcf/bin/some-shell
>>> adding new entry uid=username,ou=People,ou=nis,dc=rcf,dc=our,dc=org
>>> modify complete
>>>
>>> ==== Querying the info =============================================
>>> /usr/bin/ldapsearch -D "cn=Directory Manager" -b
>>> "ou=People,ou=nis,dc=rcf,dc=our,dc=org" -h ldap uid=username
>>> Bind Password:
>>> uid=username,ou=People,ou=nis,dc=rcf,dc=our,dc=org
>>> homeDirectory=/afs/rcf/user/username
>>> gidNumber=999999999
>>> objectClass=top
>>> objectClass=shadowAccount
>>> objectClass=posixAccount
>>> objectClass=account
>>> gecos=Firstname
>>> Lastname,room,extension,deptcode,mailstop,acct-creator-username
>>> loginShell=/usr/rcf/bin/some-shell
>>> description=This is a template for an RCF UNIX user account.  Copy this
>>> to a new entry and modify it thoroughly to reflect the desired new
>>> user.
>>> cn=Firstname Lastname
>>> uid=username