directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Directory Studio ldif import problems
Date Sun, 30 May 2010 02:20:36 GMT
On 5/30/10 3:47 AM, Jimi HullegÄrd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I decided to try out Apache Directory Studio and its bundled Apache Directory Server,
since I needed a LDAP server together with a CMS that I wanted to install. I have used OpenLDAP
before, but wanted to try something new. But I ran in to problems quite early, and I have
not been able to solve them so I hope that maybe someone here can help.

> The CMS I'm trying to install has some instructions that are related to OpenLDAP. Instructions
that I don't really know how to apply to my situation. For example it tells me to configure
"LDAP account for root" to "cn=admin,dc=your-company,dc=com", and set a password. But I simply
can't find any place in the studio GUI to set these things.

Because OpenLDAP is not exactly similar to ADS.

You have first to create the server, and you have to know that the
default "LDAP accout for root" on ADS is "uid=admin, ou=system", with
this password = "secret".

When you have created your ADS server, and created a connection to this
server (following
http://directory.apache.org/studio/static/users_guide/apacheds/tasks_creating_new_server.html),

you will have to configure it. The main elements you have to configure are :
- the LDAP port
- the partition that will store your data (here,
dc=your-company,dc=com). You will give it a name (your-company, for
instance). You will have then to create what we call a 'context-entry'.
It's the same concept than OpenLDAP , with a different name  :
> dn: dc=your-company,dc=com
> objectClass: dcObject
> objectClass: organization
>
> dc: your-company
> o: your-company

You can do that simply when connected by right-cicking on the root of
your your-company partition, and select the 'create context-entry'.

Then you are done with the server configuration and creation.

Hope it helps...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,