directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using ApacheDS front-end with a custom backend
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:16:47 GMT
Hi Matt,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Matt Doran <matt.doran@papercut.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> That's interesting to know!    I'm definitely interested in being able to
> implement a very lightweight directory server based on my own data.    I
> have a fairly immediate need to implement something over the next few weeks
> so I do need to choose a short term solution.    I haven't had time to do
> in-depth analysis of my options (currently ApacheDS, OpenDS, and Penrose).
>     I was currently leaning towards OpenDS because of it's license (allowing
> us to embed in a commercial product), and it has less JAR dependencies (to
> cause less conflict with the product that will be embedding it).
>
> I'd almost ruled out Penrose because of it's GPL license which would have
> stopped us from embedded it within our product.  And now it's not clear who
> to ask for a commercial license.   Is there someone who now can grant this
> type of permission/license for commercial use?

Have no clue on this.

> Do you have a recommendation of which product would be the best to based an
> embedded LDAP server on.   All we are really looking for is:

Why ApacheDS of course :-D.  There are several reasons why.  First I would
worry about OpenDS and it's future because of the Oracle acquisition.  Their
decision to use SUN DS instead of OpenDS perplexes me. Then the OpenSSO
fiasco is another reason to avoid anything Oracle has for embedding if you
want to embed freely.

The dependency issues are neglegible and we can help you work around them or
finde some solution to accomodate.  ApacheDS is here to stay because it's
backed by trusted "organic" open source without the steroids pumped :-) into
sponsored communities.

Regards,

Alex

--