directory-users mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Using ApacheDS front-end with a custom backend
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:26:31 GMT
Hi,

This tutorial should get you started:
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/61-how-to-write-a-simple-custom-partition-for-apacheds.html

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 24 mars 2010, at 12:19, Matt Doran wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to Apache DS, but I've recently used your Directory Studio and thought it was
amazing.  Well done!

> I've got a pretty in depth developer type question, so if this is something better asked
on another list, please let me know.

> I'm a developer, and I've got to emulate some basic functionality of an LDAP server (e.g.
user authentication and some very limited/basic searching), but instead of using a traditional
LDAP data store, provide the backend data myself.  In reality the backend data will be partially
constructed from an existing RDBMS user database, and a mix of other more dynamic elements
(like delegating some elements of authentication to another source - e.g. another LDAP server
or AD).

> Does Apache DS have an architecture that might allow me to take the network facing /
protocol handling layer and plugin my own implementation for a basic data store?    If so,
does anyone have any tips/example/etc for me to get started?   I had a look at the documents
and the project seems to be made up of many submodules/projects.   So I'm hopeful my idea
is achievable .... but would like your tips on where to begin.