directory-users mailing list archives

From Cody Burleson <c...@burlesontech.com>
Subject Re: memberOf attribute
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:49:40 GMT
The memberOf attribute is actually common to several LDAP servers, although
the attribute goes by a different name in each. It is available in AD, IBM'd
LDAP server, Novell eDirectory, and others.

This is a very important feature because it allows users to announce
membership to applications at login and from a performance perspective, it
can make a huge difference. Instead of searching all groups to determine
whether or not a user has membership, applications can simply check the
memberOf attribute. WebSphere Portal, for example, recommends this approach
for improving login times when configuring the portal server to authenticate
against LDAP.

Please consider this a vote in favor of the feature.

Cody Burleson
Burleson Technology Group
Mobile: (214) 537-8783
Skype: codyburleson