directory-users mailing list archives

From Matt Doran <matt.do...@papercut.com>
Subject Re: Using ApacheDS front-end with a custom backend
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 06:00:58 GMT
Hi Alex,

That's interesting to know!    I'm definitely interested in being able
to implement a very lightweight directory server based on my own
data.    I have a fairly immediate need to implement something over the
next few weeks so I do need to choose a short term solution.    I
haven't had time to do in-depth analysis of my options (currently
ApacheDS, OpenDS, and Penrose).       I was currently leaning towards
OpenDS because of it's license (allowing us to embed in a commercial
product), and it has less JAR dependencies (to cause less conflict with
the product that will be embedding it).

I'd almost ruled out Penrose because of it's GPL license which would
have stopped us from embedded it within our product.  And now it's not
clear who to ask for a commercial license.   Is there someone who now
can grant this type of permission/license for commercial use?

Do you have a recommendation of which product would be the best to based
an embedded LDAP server on.   All we are really looking for is:

    * A layer to handle the LDAP network protocol
    * A pluggable interface to allow us to fulfil authentication
      requests and some basic searches.

Ideally we would not require all the backend/management/etc jars,
etc.    So it might even make sense for us to chop out everything that's
not required (if possible).    Any thoughts?

Regards,

Matt Doran
PaperCut Software International Pty. Ltd.
http://www.papercut.com/

Phone:   +61 3 9809 5194