directory-users mailing list archives

From Matt Doran <matt.do...@papercut.com>
Subject Re: Using ApacheDS front-end with a custom backend
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:52:28 GMT
Hi Pierre (and Kiran),

Thanks for the very speedy response!   That looks perfect ... that looks
like a good place to start. :)

If I hit any hurdles I'll post to the dev list as Kiran suggested.

I just tried to find the minimal set of Jars to run an embedded server
(any tips?) .... and found that that example doesn't compile against the
1.5.6 jars because "org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.name.LdapDN" no
longer exists, but is references in the HellowWorldPartition class.

Thanks!
Matt

On 24/03/2010 10:26 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This tutorial should get you started:
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/61-how-to-write-a-simple-custom-partition-for-apacheds.html
>
> Regards,
> Pierre-Arnaud
>

> On 24 mars 2010, at 12:19, Matt Doran wrote:
>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm new to Apache DS, but I've recently used your Directory Studio and thought it
was amazing.  Well done!

>> I've got a pretty in depth developer type question, so if this is something better
asked on another list, please let me know.

>> I'm a developer, and I've got to emulate some basic functionality of an LDAP server
(e.g. user authentication and some very limited/basic searching), but instead of using a traditional
LDAP data store, provide the backend data myself.  In reality the backend data will be partially
constructed from an existing RDBMS user database, and a mix of other more dynamic elements
(like delegating some elements of authentication to another source - e.g. another LDAP server
or AD).

>> Does Apache DS have an architecture that might allow me to take the network facing
/ protocol handling layer and plugin my own implementation for a basic data store?    If so,
does anyone have any tips/example/etc for me to get started?   I had a look at the documents
and the project seems to be made up of many submodules/projects.   So I'm hopeful my idea
is achievable .... but would like your tips on where to begin.