directory-users mailing list archives

From Matt Doran <matt.do...@papercut.com>
Subject Using ApacheDS front-end with a custom backend
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:19:00 GMT
Hi there,

I'm new to Apache DS, but I've recently used your Directory Studio and
thought it was amazing.  Well done!

I've got a pretty in depth developer type question, so if this is
something better asked on another list, please let me know.

I'm a developer, and I've got to emulate some basic functionality of an
LDAP server (e.g. user authentication and some very limited/basic
searching), but instead of using a traditional LDAP data store, provide
the backend data myself.  In reality the backend data will be partially
constructed from an existing RDBMS user database, and a mix of other
more dynamic elements (like delegating some elements of authentication
to another source - e.g. another LDAP server or AD).

Does Apache DS have an architecture that might allow me to take the
network facing / protocol handling layer and plugin my own
implementation for a basic data store?    If so, does anyone have any
tips/example/etc for me to get started?   I had a look at the documents
and the project seems to be made up of many submodules/projects.   So
I'm hopeful my idea is achievable .... but would like your tips on where
to begin.

Thanks in advance,
Matt