directory-users mailing list archives

From "pub.cog" <pub....@gmail.com>
Subject gmail2ldap (using embedded ADS)
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:34:33 GMT
Hi list and Emmanuel ;)

Just to let you know that I'm using an embedded apacheds for a pet
project: http://code.google.com/p/gmail2ldap/
I really like the new thunderbird version (3) and gmail integration, but
synchronizing my contact list was a bit painful :(

Basically it's the same as the contacts functionality of
http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/features.html, but it wasn't working
on my computer (I think it's using screen scraping instead of google
apis) and I don't need the rest of the functionalities.

How gmail2ldap works (in a nutshell): I fetch contacts from gmail and
insert them into apacheds then configure thunderbird to access this ldap
(running in background).

I also wanted to learn ldap (especially the administration part) since I
never had the opportunity to use ldap except as a simple user.

Apacheds works great, the api is clear, keep up the good work :)

More and more people around me are using directory softwares, the
directory suite is by far the most use.
Apacheds is gaining popularity but I haven't meet it in production env
yet ;)

cheers
--
Benjamin Francisoud