directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Behaviour of "Copy Value" actions
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:54:47 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> IMO, manipulation of values through Copy/paste are only meaningfull in
> Studio, and in this case, copying a binary value as Base64 is probably
> the best choice. If you have an extended operation allowing someone to
> copy the realy byte[] in a buffer, that's fine (however, I don't really

Thanks Emmanuel. My intention is not to copy byte[] but to extract a
string representation of that bytes and then use that string within our
outside of Studio. Let me give a concrete example:

ApacheDS returns the entryUUID attribute as binary (same with objectGUID
of MS AD). In the Entry Editor (version 1.5.0) we have some value
editors that format those binary attributes and display their string
representation, e.g. "71ee9b64-39d3-386c-bce3-c70549ca8829".

So when I copy that value I would expect to get exactly that displayed
value. But as of today I get the Base64 encoded value of the byte[]. And
currently there is no way to get that display value.

> see the added value at this point). A third way to deal with binary
> values as binary is to save them on the disk.

Yes, that is possible. When you double-click it a dialogs pops up and
you could save the binary to disk.

Stefan