directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Behaviour of "Copy Value" actions
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:36:33 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Entry Editor we have multiple context menu items to copy a value:
> - The default "Copy Value" (Ctrl+C)
> - Some more items in the "Advanced" sub-menu
>
> The current behaviour of the "Copy Value" action is:
> - If the value is string then the value is copied as stored in directory
> - If the value is binary then the BASE64 encoded binary value is copied
>
> Additional, we have value editors. They decorate the raw value and
> display it in a more user-friendly way (at least I hope so), for example:
> - date/time values: converted date/time to current time zone
> - object classes: additional information if structural or auxiliary
> - binary values like images: some information like size
> - new: MS AD objectGUID and objectSid
>
> For default text values the "Copy Value" action works fine. However for
> binary values I think the BASE64 encoded value isn't very useful.
>
> So I wonder if we should copy the displayed (and maybe decorated) value
> instead of the raw value. IMO that makes more sense, because when
> pressing Ctrl+C you get what you see. And it is still possible to get
> the raw value or BASE64 encoded value from the "Advanced" sub-menu.
>
> Thoughts?

IMO, manipulation of values through Copy/paste are only meaningfull in
Studio, and in this case, copying a binary value as Base64 is probably
the best choice. If you have an extended operation allowing someone to
copy the realy byte[] in a buffer, that's fine (however, I don't really
see the added value at this point). A third way to deal with binary
values as binary is to save them on the disk.
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan Seelmann

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny