directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Restting the password for admin user
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:18:59 GMT
Hi Sumit,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 8:26 AM, sumit goyal <sumit.goyal84@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Do we have any utility or a proven working/safe method to reset the pasword
> for "uid=admin,ou=system" user. This is to be used in a case where end-user
> has forgotten the admin password and is not able to use directory server.
>
> I found a method to reset admin password in sun directory server @
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/techtips/admin_pwd.jsp
>
> I will sincerely appreciate quick help.

The administrator entry is just like any other entry and the userPassword
field is like any other attribute.   You can use these LDAP client tools to
update this attribute just the same way even on your SUN machine since this
goes over the wire.

Hence this mechanism also works for ApacheDS however note that you'll need
either the SUN or the OpenLDAP client since we don't have command line
tools.

Cheers,

--
Alex Karasulu