directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Restting the password for admin user
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:36:27 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> The administrator entry is just like any other entry and the userPassword
> field is like any other attribute.   You can use these LDAP client tools to
> update this attribute just the same way even on your SUN machine since this
> goes over the wire.
>
> Hence this mechanism also works for ApacheDS however note that you'll need
> either the SUN or the OpenLDAP client since we don't have command line
> tools.

I assume the question is: How to reset the password, if forgotten. The
only idea I currently have:

- Allow anonymous bind with complete authorization.
- Reset the password attribute, just as Alex proposes
- disallow anonymous bind with complete authorization.

But I am not sure, whether opening the server that way is possible (be
sure that it is not available over the wire for others at that time).

Greetings,
     Stefan