directory-users mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] Cruel dilemma with Editor Open Mode in Studio
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:35:55 GMT
Hi Kiran,
Thanks for this feedback. :)

More inline.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM, ayyagarikiran <ayyagarikiran@gmail.com>wrote:

> I like to have the double-click mode as default (remembering how many times
> entry editor got opened when I accidentally selected an entry in the DIT)

Same thing here. And it's even worse if you're using the arrow keys to
navigate in the tree.

> coming to the consistency, I would prefer to leave the existing behavior as
> default if that is possible (may be based on other users' choice too)

Now, here's the hard of the business... Because we're modifying this setting
across the whole Eclipse.
When you're using the Apache Directory Studio RCP Application, that's not an
issue, but when you're in a standard Eclipse distribution, if we modify this
setting, this will also affect the other perspective (Java perspective for
example). I'm sure it will make our users upset.

Maybe what we could propose is a little popup window that is launched when
the LDAP, or Schema Editor perspectives are opened. This popup would explain
that we're now using this setting and ask the user if he wants to keep its
current setting.

> thanks for including this feature and other EntryEditor stuff( that I
> didn't understand completely ;) )

The Entry Editors stuff is the ability to have multiple editors to choose
from for opening entries, like our standard editor, or an LDIF editor which
opens the entry as an ldif record you can edit. Or something else... As it
is an extension point, anyone will be able to add a new entry editor.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud