directory-users mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [Studio] Cruel dilemma with Editor Open Mode in Studio
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:54:02 GMT
Hi all,
As we're adding extensibility to the entry editor, we need to refactor the
way editors are opened.

We want to offer various ways to open the entry editor compared to the
hard-coded single-click mode we currently have.

We'd like to reuse an already existing Eclipse mechanism for open mode,
combined with the standard Eclipse "General" preference page [1].

This page allows the user to choose whether editors open on double-click or
single-click events (with even more options in that second case).

This preference page comes with any Eclipse version we support and is also
already included in the Apache Directory Studio RCP Application.

Looking at the picture I've drawn, that's a lot of benefits, but... there's
one down side...

This down side is that the default value for open mode is "Double click" on
that preference page, which is the opposite of what the user is currently
using on Studio (with our hard-coded single click open mode).

So, we're facing a cruel dilemma where we greatly want to use this
preference setting because it offers to the user a lot more control and it's
very handy to be able to define a preferred open mode, but, on the other
hand, between versions (1.4 to 1.5), consistency is not maintained. Version
1.4 by default opens an entry editor on a single click event (or single move
with the arrow keys) while version 1.5 would by default open an entry editor
on a double click event.

>From my POV, I think the benefit is really worth the inconsistency, but I'd
really like to get more feedback from you.

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

[1] - http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/EclipseGeneralPreferencePage.png