directory-users mailing list archives

From Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth <...@strike.wu.ac.at>
Subject Re: [Studio] add is done before delete on attribute value modification
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:27:33 GMT
On 08/05/2009 03:45 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Martin Alderson wrote:
>> It's interesting that studios behaviour when modifying attribute
>> values depends on how many values there are to begin with - I
>> hadn't noticed that.  I wonder if it might catch people out:
>> perhaps a user sees studio doing a add+delete operation on a
>> multi-valued attribute and assumes it will always do that, then
>> they modify a single valued attribute and rely on studio to give an
>> error if someone or something else has modified that value since
>> Studio read it.  That's perhaps so unlikely as to not be worth
>> considering though.  Coming from the other side, a user might be
>> trying to replace a value of a multi-valued attribute that is
>> constantly being modified by something else which might get
>> frustrating.
>
> Yes, you are right, thanks for your insight.
>
> One reason for the replace operation (as mentioned in my previous mail)
> are must attributes. Some servers don't like the delete/add sequence.
>
> Another reason for the replace operation are attributes without any
> matching  rule (like facsimileTelephoneNumber). It is not possible to say
>   delete: facsimileTelephoneNumber
>   facsimileTelephoneNumber: 123
> for those attributes when there is no equality matching rule.

I am currently facing similar problems when trying to modify openldap's
runtime configuration: Many attributes like olcDbConfig don't have
equality matching rules, therefore delete/add modifications won't work.

So at least offering an option to do replace modifications instead of
add/delete even on multi-valued attributes would be really useful.

Cheers,
--leo
--
e-mail   ::: Leo.Bergolth (at) wu.ac.at