directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Cruel dilemma with Editor Open Mode in Studio
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:16:14 GMT
Martin Alderson wrote:
> Hullo,
>

>> Maybe what we could propose is a little popup window that is launched
>> when the LDAP, or Schema Editor perspectives are opened. This popup
>> would explain that we're now using this setting and ask the user if he
>> wants to keep its current setting.
>>

> I'm not a fan of pop-ups like this but I guess if it only shows up one time it isn't
going to kill me.  It would be great to have a tab open the first time a version of Studio
is run with a welcome page showing the release notes etc which would in this case include
a note about this change in behaviour.  That way you don't have to dismiss it if you just
want to do something.  I can imagine that people might want to open up the preferences themselves
to see this option before dismissing the pop-up telling them about it, for example.

Totally +1.

>>> Now, when multiple entries are opened, we shoul dbe able to navigate
>>> through them when simple clicking on the entries (a bit like for the
>>> Java editor : when the classes are open, a simple click change the tab
>>> to the opened file.
>>>

> Does this mean that Studio will be capable of opening multiple entry editors at the same
time?  That would be useful.

I think they are working toward such a solution, to allow usesr to
compare entries, for instance. Usefull, indeed.

>> We already have that "General" preference page, but maybe we could add a
>> specific element in the toolbar for fast switching.
>>

> I wouldn't have thought this kind of option would be changed often enough by anyone to
warrant it being on the toolbar.  I don't think it will bother me either way though.

Probably true.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com