directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Cruel dilemma with Editor Open Mode in Studio
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:16:00 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi all,
> As we're adding extensibility to the entry editor, we need to refactor the
> way editors are opened.
>
> We want to offer various ways to open the entry editor compared to the
> hard-coded single-click mode we currently have.
>
> We'd like to reuse an already existing Eclipse mechanism for open mode,
> combined with the standard Eclipse "General" preference page [1].
>
> This page allows the user to choose whether editors open on double-click or
> single-click events (with even more options in that second case).
>
> This preference page comes with any Eclipse version we support and is also
> already included in the Apache Directory Studio RCP Application.
>

> Looking at the picture I've drawn, that's a lot of benefits, but... there's
> one down side...
>
> This down side is that the default value for open mode is "Double click" on
> that preference page, which is the opposite of what the user is currently
> using on Studio (with our hard-coded single click open mode).

All the eclipse applications I have used are opening elements when I
double-click. I think that is the standard behavior, and we have
diverged from this standard from day one.

Now, when multiple entries are opened, we shoul dbe able to navigate
through them when simple clicking on the entries (a bit like for the
Java editor : when the classes are open, a simple click change the tab
to the opened file.

In any case, a preference to toggle the simple/double click is mandatory.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org