directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: invalid .ldif? [newbie]
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 13:46:37 GMT
Brian Burch wrote:
> Jonathan Camilleri wrote:
>> I've just loaded an .ldif file within Apache Directory Studio and the
>> program is pointing out /Unexpected token/.  I can't see anything
>> wrong with the file, any ideas pls?
>
> Don't know about apache studio, but I've often had this sort of error
> with command line ldapmodify when I've copied a windoze or os2 based
> ldif file to unix and then updated it there. In almost every case,
> I've tracked it down to a cr/lf problem.
Unlikely ...

Otherwise, there are many potential traps :

* no space after the ':' or '::'
* a  multi-line value not starting with a space
* an attribute type with a non valid char in it
* a missing ':'
* a missing RC at the end of the file (not sure if it still generates an
error...)
* the #version:1 does not contain the valid '1' number

Without the file, it's hard to say ...

> If this is possible in your case, edit the file under linux; go to
> EVERY single end-of-line position and delete characters until the next
> line concatenates with the current one; hit return. (repeat for every
> line, including the last empty line).
A trick on linux/unix, to remove window$ ^M : open your file in vi, and
type :%s/^V^M// in command mode
(to produce the ^V, just hit the control key and the V key. The very
same for ^M). Doing the same with sed should also work...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org