directory-users mailing list archives

From "Greg Allen" <>
Subject RE: [ApacheDS] Using ApacheDS for web authentication
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 00:59:47 GMT
Thanks, Alex. This has been very helpful.

I first set up my application to use Tomcat and ApacheDS standalone.
working with a <Realm> set up in the Tomcat server.xml file to talk to
ApacheDS to do the authentication - my login page is using forms

I've now gotten ApacheDS embedded in my application.  I can see from the
file that it starts up when my webapp starts.

Now my question is this - can I use the forms authentication
with the embedded ApacheDS instance?  If I leave the <Realm> defined in
Tomcat server.xml, I get connection problems as the embedded ApacheDS
started yet (and Tomcat just seems to stop there).

This may be a Tomcat configuration issue, I'm not sure.

Can anyone help?

-- Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Karasulu []
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ApacheDS] Using ApacheDS for web authentication

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Greg Allen <> wrote:

> I'm new to ApacheDS, so forgive me if these questions are simple...
> I would like to use ApacheDS as the authentication module for a web
> application, probably
> bundled in somehow with Tomcat (or maybe embedded)?

Sure you can totally do that.  Also your incredibly lucky :-D. Our very
Stephan Zoerner wrote an excellent tutorial in our user's guide to step
users through doing just that.  Here's a link to doing this with 1.0
another article:

I'd stick to using ADS 1.5 though and so here's the same tutorial for
latest and greatest:

> First, is this a something that ApacheDS would/could be used for?

Absolutely.  This is a classic use case.

> Second, I'd like users who come to the site have the ability to create
> their own accounts. Could
> this be done with ApacheDS?  You see these types of login pages all
> the web, where you
> can create an account if you don't already have one.

Right like they register then get some email etc etc for confirmation.
However you slice this thing you would build it into your application.
Basically your application determines how to verify the user and then
creates a single user entry for them.

We thought about building web interfaces for ADS to supply some self
apps too like when you forget your password but this is just icing that
users can do themselves and integrate into their own applications.

> Lastly, assuming the answers are yes to first two questions, is there
> sample application
> somewhere out there that I could look at that does this type of thing?

Those tutorials are your ticket.  Read, test, and have fun.

Alex Karasulu
My Blog ::
Apache Directory Server ::
Apache MINA ::

DISCLAIMER:"The information contained in this message and the attachments (if any) may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. You are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, review, retransmission,
or taking of any action based upon this information, by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message, and have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and kindly delete the original
message, attachments, if any, and all its copies from your computer system. Thank you for
your cooperation."

View raw message