directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Using ApacheDS for web authentication
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 06:21:47 GMT
Hi Greg!

Greg Allen wrote:
> I've now gotten ApacheDS embedded in my application.  I can see from the
> log
> file that it starts up when my webapp starts.
>
> Now my question is this - can I use the forms authentication
> (j_securitycheck)
> with the embedded ApacheDS instance?  If I leave the <Realm> defined in
> the
> Tomcat server.xml, I get connection problems as the embedded ApacheDS
> hasn't
> started yet (and Tomcat just seems to stop there).
>
> This may be a Tomcat configuration issue, I'm not sure.
>
> Can anyone help?

I assume, that the startup order is a problem here. The embedded
ApacheDS is a web application, which starts after the realm.

I am not sure, whether it is possible to configure Tomcat differently here.

The better solution would be to embed ApacheDS as a Tomcat Ream anyway.
In order to do so you (we?) have to write a realm which embeds ApacheDS
instead of a web application which embeds ApacheDS.

In this case, the start order would be no problem, and it would ne much
clever to do this, because the realm implementation can talk directly to
ApachsDS instead of using the network layer.

I think we (Apache Directory Project) should implement this and provide
it to our users, It would make a perfect example for embedding ApacheDS
+ It would help people like you.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan