directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Using ApacheDS for web authentication
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:27:44 GMT
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Greg Allen <
Gregory.Allen@sierraatlantic.com> wrote:

> I'm new to ApacheDS, so forgive me if these questions are simple...
>
> I would like to use ApacheDS as the authentication module for a web
> application, probably
> bundled in somehow with Tomcat (or maybe embedded)?

Sure you can totally do that.  Also your incredibly lucky :-D. Our very own
Stephan Zoerner wrote an excellent tutorial in our user's guide to step
users through doing just that.  Here's a link to doing this with 1.0 plus
another article:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/embedding-apacheds-as-a-web-application.html
    http://www.screaming-penguin.com/node/5677

I'd stick to using ADS 1.5 though and so here's the same tutorial for the
latest and greatest:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/embedding-apacheds-as-a-web-application.html

> First, is this a something that ApacheDS would/could be used for?

Absolutely.  This is a classic use case.

> Second, I'd like users who come to the site have the ability to create
> their own accounts. Could
> this be done with ApacheDS?  You see these types of login pages all over
> the web, where you
> can create an account if you don't already have one.

Right like they register then get some email etc etc for confirmation.
However you slice this thing you would build it into your application.
Basically your application determines how to verify the user and then
creates a single user entry for them.

We thought about building web interfaces for ADS to supply some self service
apps too like when you forget your password but this is just icing that
users can do themselves and integrate into their own applications.

> Lastly, assuming the answers are yes to first two questions, is there a
> sample application
> somewhere out there that I could look at that does this type of thing?

Those tutorials are your ticket.  Read, test, and have fun.

HTH

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org