directory-users mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Using ApacheDS for web authentication
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:36:42 GMT
Hi Greg,
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Greg Allen <
Gregory.Allen@sierraatlantic.com> wrote:

> I'm new to ApacheDS, so forgive me if these questions are simple...
>
> I would like to use ApacheDS as the authentication module for a web
> application, probably
> bundled in somehow with Tomcat (or maybe embedded)?
>
> First, is this a something that ApacheDS would/could be used for?

Yes, ApacheDS is very easy to embed.

We even have an example of Embedding Apache DS as a Web Application within
Tomcat.
See this page:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/43-embedding-apacheds-as-a-web-application.html

 Second, I'd like users who come to the site have the ability to create
> their own accounts. Could
> this be done with ApacheDS?  You see these types of login pages all over
> the web, where you
> can create an account if you don't already have one.
>
> Lastly, assuming the answers are yes to first two questions, is there a
> sample application
> somewhere out there that I could look at that does this type of thing?

Yes, you'll be able to do that in you application.
You'll just have to create your users or retrieve them, as well as
authenticate them (bind() operation) using JNDI.

If you're not familiar with JNDI, you should consider reading this first:
  http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud