directory-users mailing list archives

From PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev+apach...@gmail.com>
Subject ApacheDS beginner's installation questions
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 03:25:21 GMT
hi,

i'm trying my 1st install of apache directory server/studio.

i've installed the server on a headless, openSUSE Xen DomU. i used the
'binary' installer.  nice-n-easy; currently, the service is
up-n-running.  is there amy reason/advantage to have used the .rpm
instead?

i'm continuing to stumble thru the discovery of docs, and having a
time of it :-/

finding info's a bit of a challenge so far -- as such, i have a couple
of rank-beginner questions. (if any/all are answered somewhere, a
pointer'd be very helpful!)

refers to IRC channels:

  Users IRC channel : #apache-directory @ irc://irc.freenode.net
  Developers IRC channel : #apache-directory-dev @ irc://irc.freenode.net

on freenode, however, i can find no trace of either channel.  are the
moved? broken? dead?

(2) i've installed the standalone Studio (v1.5.4) on a lan box (OSX),
and can connect to the remote server (@ the DomU).

reading @ http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/141-configuration-of-apacheds-with-spring.html,
suggests that to edit/modify configuration i need the SpringIDE.   is
that still the case?

if so, can I install the SpringIDE (an eclipse plugin, right?) in the
standalone Studio?  or do I have to install the "full" Eclipse?

(3) when I use Studio on the LAN box, is is storing config/data/etc
_locally_ or on the server?  if the latter, _where_ in the directory
structure are they saved?

(4) my goal is to be able to remotely administer the Server, config etc.

iiuc, that either requires

 (a) a locally-installed instance of Studio on each/every box i use to
administer
 (b) a full X11 env on the server, served via, e.g., VNC to a remote box
 (c) a web-administration capability.  _does_ Studio have one?  or
must something like phpldapadmin be setup/used?

help's appreciated!

thanks.