directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Using ApacheDS for web authentication
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:40:00 GMT
Greg Allen wrote:
> I'm new to ApacheDS, so forgive me if these questions are simple...
>
> I would like to use ApacheDS as the authentication module for a web
> application, probably
> bundled in somehow with Tomcat (or maybe embedded)?

Just a small addition. Besides embedding ApacheDS (as described by Alex
in his mail), it is also possible to ApacheDS and Tomcat independently,
and use ApacheDS as a backend sore for users, groups, passwords. Like
described here:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/42-apache-tomcat.html

The page describes it for ApacheDS 1.0, but it mainly deals with
configuration of Tomcat, which has not been changed.

This uses Java EE standard stuff, and will therefore not solve your
requirement of self registration. But it is an easy first step, because
it is configuration only.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan