directory-users mailing list archives

From werner mueller <werner.muel...@mimacom.ch>
Subject Re: Automatic unique id generate?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:18:00 GMT
hallo

as i am reading along...  :)

i've never used unique id's with ldap but using UUIDs (java.util.UUID)
has some drawbacks (i had to use those in webservices a lot).

uuids are pretty good as long as only the machines work with them to
synchronize objects. as soon as the uuids are required to be read by so
called human participants (users, developers, debugging folks) it gets
pretty boring. they are hard to read and impossible to remember. close
to unusable. machines have less trouble there.

regards

werner