directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: Automatic unique id generate?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:27:02 GMT
> i've never used unique id's with ldap but using UUIDs (java.util.UUID)
> has some drawbacks (i had to use those in webservices a lot).
> uuids are pretty good as long as only the machines work with them to
> synchronize objects.

True. We will use them for Replication, for instance.

as soon as the uuids are required to be read by so
> called human participants (users, developers, debugging folks) it gets
> pretty boring.

True. Just remember the UUID you have to enter hen installing some W$
software ;)

> they are hard to read and impossible to remember.

Unless you are an autistic savant :)

> to unusable. machines have less trouble there.

I wish I can remember and use UUID in real life : I would be unique !

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message