directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automatic unique id generate?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:00:01 GMT
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Marek Pawłowski
<marekapawlowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to You read in my mind becouse i have the same idea. On most
> cases it should work.

Either I'm a Mind reader, or the idea is pretty obvious for people
with a little common sense ;)

It will work in any case, but it sucks as a practical solution...

The other 'solution' we thought about was (prepare a bowl) to ask a
RDBMS to provide an incremental number (puke, puke, puke ...)

At the end, I think it would be worthfull to extend a LDAP server with
an extended operation, allowing a user to request an incremental
unique number based on the server seed. Ie, you initialize each server
on a network with a unique number, define an interval which will be
wide enough to allow N servers to be added to your network, and then
build a unique number on the server using those elements.

for instance, suppose you will need 10 LDAP servers, but your network
can grow to 20, then you define an interval of 100 for your set of
servers, and each server has a unique number defining it. This is all
you need to define an auto-incremented UID on each server.

Server N next increment = 100*current_increment + N; current_increment++;

--
Regards,
Cordialement,