directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automatic unique id generate?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:35:15 GMT
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Marek Pawłowski
<marekapawlowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... "Solve" So do I. But its very dirty solution... Im worry about
> sync of replication data but time verify that. ;(

More specifically, the solution we adopted is dirty, but works : we
have N servers, each server has a unique identifier, from 1 to N, and
each new entry added in one server has a unique number modulo N.

So server m attributes uid m, N+m, 2N+m, 3N+m, ..., server p
attributes number p, N+p, 2N+p, 3N+p etc...

If we want to add more servers, we have to start from a new base, so
we have a parameter (seed) which has to be pushed on all the servers,
which then need a restart, in order to be sure that we start with a
correct base on all the servers.

Of course, this is done on the application layer, not on the LDAP server.

Another option would be to depend on UUID, as they are unique,
whatever the number of servers you have.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,