directory-users mailing list archives

From Cheong Chung Onn <chung...@greenfossil.com>
Subject What is ModifyTimestamp operation attribute expected behavior?
Date Sun, 25 Jan 2009 03:53:20 GMT
Hi Emmanuel and All,

We discovered this hidden feature of ApacheDS which we thought is ultra
cool but it works only under a certain condition which we yet to determine.

Here's the scenario. We have a containing(parent) entry which has 2
attributes whose syntaxes are DN (1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.12). These
2 attributes in turn are holding the DN some other entries as shown below.

  Parent
===========     ==========
| Attr A  | --> | Entry A|
|         |     ==========
|         |     ==========
| Attr B  | --> | Entry B|
===========     ==========

When we modify Entry A, its "modifyTimestamp" changed as expected,
however what is interesting is the containing/parent entry's
"modifyTimestamp" attribute is also changed. If this is is an expected
behavior of apacheDS then it is ultra cool, is the a hidden feature?

However, if we modify Entry B, its "modifyTimestamp" also changed as
expected, but the containing entry's "modifyTimestamp" remains unchanged
though.

Btw - ObjectClass is indexed in this partition :-)

This leads me to ask another question pertaining to alias. Will an alias
entry "modifyTimestamp" get updated when its referenced entry is modified?

Regards,
chung-onn